Friday, February 17, 2012

Knowing what you want


I recently attended a great donation based workshop/ event hosted by Charm City Yoga. It was called Karma Yoga and the proceeds were donated towards the Africa Yoga Project. Originally I had signed up for this event because my instructor from the Teacher Training program was teaching the class and I knew I would love whatever she put together.

At the beginning of this work shop cards were passed around and we were asked to select the one that spoke to us. The purpose was to put the cards at the top of your mat and allow the card, for whatever the reason you chose may be, to be part of your practice that evening.

The cards had artistic images from the Bhagavad Gita on them as well as some script at the bottom and a description on the back. The card I selected was Overcoming Fear.

This has been a huge goal for me this year. To be my own warrior against fear and doubt. I
am my own worst enemy when it comes to criticism. I believe I use this criticism as a way to avoid things that intimidate or scare me. Like the little voice that for years said to me, "you don't have enough yoga experience to sign up for a yoga teacher training program." Well, I proved them wrong!


Through my teacher training program I am learning to be kinder to myself. To quiet or override the voice inside that puts doubt on my drive and desire. In yoga one of my favorite postures is Warrior II (as shown above). "What’s really being commemorated in this pose’s name, and held up as an ideal for all practitioners, is the “spiritual warrior,” who bravely does battle with the universal enemy, self-ignorance (avidya), the ultimate source of all our suffering." (source)

This year in an attempt to battle my fear I've chosen to simply not allow it to stop me from going for what I want. When I am in a warrior pose I hear my teacher's voice reminding me that Warrior postures are about knowing what you want and going for it.

I have done just that. I've been true to myself. I did not let the voice whispering doubts and fears override my desire to become a yoga teacher. It is because of this that I believe I will continue to grow not only in my practice but also as a yoga teacher.

I'm very happy to announce that I was offered my first teaching job! I will be teaching the Beginner Series for Charm City Yoga starting March 13th.




"No effort on the yoga path is ever lost, nor can any obstacle ever hold one back forever. Just a little progress on this path can protect one from the greatest fear." - Bhagavad Gita




No comments:

Post a Comment